Summary of Employee Benefits
In addition to a rewarding career and challenging work, MERC offers its employees a generous benefits package. MERC strives to give its employees competitive salaries, a flexible work schedule and paid time off to enjoy life outside of work.
Paid Time Off
Regular full-time professional and classified employees accrue leave based on years of service with MERC.
- Professional employees earn 15 days of vacation each year for their first 5 years of service, and up to 22 days of vacation each year after completing 10 years of service.
- Classified employees earn 10 days of vacation each year for their first 5 years of service, and up to 18 days of vacation each year after completing 15 years of service.
- Regular full-time employees accrue 12 days of sick leave each year and may carry over unused hours from year-to-year up to a maximum sick leave accrual.
- Regular part-time employees accrue paid sick days in a ratio proportionate to time worked.
MERC celebrates 11 paid holidays for employees to enjoy time off with friends and family throughout the year. Holiday schedules are aligned with the Houston County School District and Robins Air Force Base.
Health insurance is available to full-time employees. Coverage begins the first day of the month following the employee’s hire date.
The Mercer Health Plan is a self-insured PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) plan that does not restrict employees to specific physicians or hospitals.
Dental Insurance is available to regular full-time employees. Coverage begins the first day of the month following the employee’s hire date. Our plan allows you to choose your own licensed dental provider.
Life insurance is available to regular full-time employees at no costs to the employee. You may receive up to one times your salary up to $50K with 100% of the premium paid by MERC.
Employees may also purchase supplemental life insurance for you and your dependents at a nominal rate.
MERC full-time employees have the option of purchasing a cancer insurance policy in the event of a Cancer, Leukemia, and Hodgkin’s disease diagnosis. Coverage is provided through American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus (AFLAC). Coverage begins the first day of the month following acceptance by AFLAC.
Long Term Disability
Disability insurance is available to regular full-time employees at no costs to the employee.
Our policy pays a monthly income benefit equal to 60% of your monthly wage base, less the sum of benefits from any other income sources. Coverage is provided through The Standard Life Insurance Company.
Flexible Spending Account
Funds withheld from your salary for this account will not be subject to State, Federal, or Social Security Taxes. Charges submitted for reimbursement must have occurred during the plan year in which they were withheld.
MERC makes contributions for eligible regular full-time and regular part-time employees after the completion of 2 years credited service and attainment of age 21.
- After completing the first 2 years of continuous service, MERC contributes 6% of the annual salary.
- After completing the next 5 years (following the first two) MERC contributes 10% of the annual salary (up to the annual compensation limit set by the Internal Revenue Code).
Mercer Engineering Research Center (MERC) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.