08212015-sign

MERC's History

Mercer Engineering Research Center (MERC) is the research and applied engineering arm of Mercer University, a private university founded in 1833. For over 175 years the University has served Georgia as a highly-respected educational institution. In 1984, the School of Engineering was established at the Macon, Georgia campus, with the charter class beginning studies in 1985.

Two years later, in 1987, the Mercer Engineering Research Center was established under the School of Engineering to provide locally available engineering and scientific services and critical specialized technical skills.

Today, MERC functions as a non-profit operating unit of the University, with the Executive Director, Dr. David Barwick, reporting directly to the University president, Mr. William D. Underwood.

For over twenty-five years, MERC has proudly and ably supported its clients and customers with superb engineering and scientific capabilities and resources, to include such core competencies as electronic combat systems engineering and advanced algorithm development; simulation and modeling; process analysis and design; information systems technology; structures technology; integrated logistics systems; industrial systems and materials technology; and rehabilitation and ergonomic science technology.

MERC has a very long and varied list of customers including all of the Department of Defense services, other governmental agencies—Federal, state, and local—as well as a multitude of commercial entities.